GURU


When I felt there was something wrong with me, I decided to go to find another teacher. I stopped swimming for 2 months. I felt unmotivated. I stopped learning. But then, I forced myself to find another teacher. 
My new teacher is very interesting person. In the first meeting, I told her “I’m doing free style” and I explained that this is my third term (almost 9 months actually since my first lessons).
After looked at my “pre-test”, what she said was surprising me, “I will fix everything and I will teach you again from the beginning, from ‘kicking’ (kicking is a very basic technique in swimming). So, for the next 5 weeks you will only learn ‘kicking’.”
What??? I learnt swimming for almost a year and she will only teach me kicking for 5 weeks? But, my response was I put big smile on my face and saying “all right, no problem”.
 
To convince me, she asked to other students, “how long I teach you ‘kicking’?”
“All the time,” he said with smile.
“And how it is?”
“It helps me a lot.”
 
This is my third meeting and I’m still doing ‘kicking’. At the end of the session, we asked her what should we do for a week (practicing), she said, "do kicking." Hmmm...it's interesting. But, I can feel she is a good teacher since my first impression.   
 
This story reminds me to my experience in the past. I heard a story from a friend of mine about learning of reciting al qur’an. In one of big the pesantren al-qur’an, the students need 3 months to learn ‘al-fatihah’. Al-fatihah is the first surah to be learnt by students. The teacher would not let the students move to the next level, before they can read al fatihah properly, from the technique of how to produce Arabic sound of huruf hijaiyyah properly to the tajwid. This is the very basic step of learning. If there is a student who cannot sound ‘a’ (alif/hamzah) in proper way, the teacher asks him/her to open his/her mouth as wide as they can until four fingers can go into the mouth. This technique is to show that to sound ‘a’ you need to open your mouth widely.
 
Similarly, my new swimming teacher shows different techniques to us, teach us with great patience. This is something that I didn’t find in my previous lessons.
 
I do believe that what we call ‘success’ in learning processes is driven by both students who are willing to learn, and teachers who have great patience. I do respect all my teachers in the same way, with great respect. That’s what I had learnt when I was young. Respect your teacher is the same as you respect knowledge itself.    
Wallahu'alam.


 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

 
 

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

Tak Ada Kata Terlambat: Pengalaman tentang Kawat Gigi

Topeng Kaleng: Negosiasi Seni dan Industri

Mencintai Buku Sejak Dini